A safe and sustainable environment is everyone’s responsibility, but only one organization blends the experienced leadership and broad resources necessary to produce a consensus document to orchestrate our entire industry’s efforts to go “green.” With more than 80 years in focused code development and model codes that protect half the world’s population, IAPMO is the natural choice in developing such a document that will equip our industry with the tools to build a better, more sustainable coexistence with the planet.
Long time leader in sustainable model code provisions:
- Since the early 1990’s, the Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC) has mandated water efficient plumbing fixtures and fittings.
- IAPMO developed the Uniform Solar Energy Code in 1976.
- IAPMO is the first model code agency to partner with the US EPA’s WaterSense program which is providing consumers with a simple way to make product choices that use less water, with no sacrifice to quality or product performance.
- Initial commitment is the pushing forward of a ten percent mandatory reduction in energy usage and water savings through code changes that require sustainable construction practices over the next three years.
- IAPMO utilizes its award winning Official magazine to increase awareness and inform the public of the magnitude of the problem and the challenges facing the green building industry. Articles explore solutions and offer case studies aimed at building a more sustainable environment. These articles are available for free in digital format. Read online >> .
Purchase Green Plumbing and Mechanical Code Supplement
- IAPMO’s leadership in sustainable initiatives predates the current trends among other organizations. The Uniform Codes have long included provisions such as water efficient plumbing products, gray water and reclaimed water systems, solar energy systems, and environmentally friendly refrigerants.
- During this dramatic transition to increasingly sustainable construction practices, IAPMO remains dedicated to ensuring we are the leader in sustainable model construction and maintenance codes that are safe and reliable.
- The IAPMO Board of Directors has also established the Committee for Awareness and Understanding of a Sustainable Environment (C.A.U.S.E.) and Green Technical Committee (GTC) to identify opportunities to make the Uniform Codes more sustainable and achieve our sustainability goals.
- The IAPMO C.A.U.S.E. Committee is composed of the leading figures in the plumbing and mechanical industries and has taken immediate steps such as calling for a minimum 10 percent reduction in energy and water consumption in the Uniform Codes. The C.A.U.S.E. group will be directing the environmental activities of IAPMO.
Green Technical Committee
- The GTC is comprised of a diverse group of experts in Green plumbing and mechanical fields. The committee is comprised of water and energy conservation authorities, plumbers, contractors, engineers, and code inspectors.
- The GTC objectives include identifying opportunities to make the Uniform Codes more sustainable, and to develop the Green Plumbing and Mechanical Supplement.
Green Technical Committee Meeting
Ontario, CA - IAPMO World Headquarters
August 21 - 22, 2014
Click to book an Ontario Doubletree hotel room online
GTC meetings are open to the public; however space is limited by the meeting room capacity. Please RSVP to Maria Bazan at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your attendance so that we may have an accurate count for the meeting room seating and food and beverage needs.
||Green Plumbing and Mechanical Supplement|
The Green Supplement is a separate document from the Uniform Plumbing and Mechanical Codes and establishes requirements for green building and water efficiency applicable to plumbing, mechanical, and solar energy (both hydronic and photovoltaic) systems.
The Green Supplement serves as an adjunct to the Uniform Codes or ANY of the plumbing and mechanical codes used in the US.
The supplement is not a “greener” version of the Uniform Codes, but rather, the Green Supplement:
- Serves as a repository for provisions that ultimately will be integrated into the Uniform Codes. The Green Supplement is a logical transitional home for green requirements until they are fully accepted by industry and are ready to be included into the code.
- Serves as a resource for progressive jurisdictions that are implementing green building and water efficiency programs.
- Is an enforcement aid for existing green ordinances
- Is a model for jurisdictions implementing green ordinances
- Serves as a resource for inspectors, plumbers, contractors, engineers and manufacturers in designing, installing and approving green plumbing and mechanical systems.
- Is written in voluntary language and in a format similar to the Uniform Codes.
- Maintains IAPMO philosophy of a focused industries specific document to minimize the need for additional codes and standards.
- Coordinates and resolves conflicts among other green building and water efficiency program requirements.
Where applicable, the Green supplement establishes:
Minimum sustainability provisions – “Raising the bar” as with all Uniform Codes
Health and safety provisions to ensure green practices are safe and reliable
Minimum performance, design, installation and maintenance requirements
GPMCS Maintenance Process
IAPMO’s maintenance process for the Green Plumbing and Mechanical Code Supplement (GPMCS) is a consensus process. The process invites the participation of the IAPMO members and the general public. Anyone may participate by attending committee meetings, and proposing changes to the GPMCS. A summary of the procedures and the comment submittal form can be downloaded here.
The GPMCS is developed under a continuous maintenance process where the committee can take action on proposals and release addenda or new edition after a 45 day public comment period and committee approval.
If you have any questions regarding the development of the GPMCS, please contact IAPMO Chicago Regional Office at 708-995-3000, ext 3007 or at email@example.com.
2010 GPMCS 1st Printing Errata (pdf download)
2010 GPMCS 2nd Printing Errata (pdf download)
2012 GPMCS 1st Printing Errata (pdf download)
- Involvement in sustainable initiatives predates the current trends, as the Uniform Codes have long included provisions for water-efficient plumbing products, gray water and reclaimed water systems, solar energy systems, and environmentally friendly refrigerants.
- The latest edition of the UPC permits the use of higher efficiency plumbing fixtures and fittings, such as dual flush and 1.28 gallon per flush toilets, urinals that flush at 1/2 gallon or less, and faucets and showerheads that use up to 30 percent less water than required by federal law.
- The UPC also allows for gray water to be used for irrigation purposes and reclaimed water for flushing water closets and urinals and supplying trap primers.
- The Uniform Mechanical Code permits the use of environmentally friendly refrigerants and relies upon ASHRAE 62.1 for proper indoor air quality requirements.
- The changes in the Uniform Plumbing Code, Uniform Mechanical Code and Uniform Solar Code will focus on achievable goals that reduce waste and conserve precious resources, while still enabling contractors to build affordable buildings with more efficient construction products and practices.
- The Green Plumbing and Mechanical Code Supplement launched on February 1, 2010. A copy of the Supplement can be ordered from the IAPMO Online Store.
In order to ensure safety and reliability, scientific research is required on a number of issues including:
- Drain line carry capabilities of High Efficiency Toilets.
- Gray water and rain water reuse systems.
- Non-water consuming urinals; installation and cost benefit studies.
- Efficient plumbing system design.
IAPMO is brokering an agreement with other industry associations in order to obtain cooperation, bring the best stakeholder talent together and align efforts to get the needed research done effectively and efficiently.
- Provides the most comprehensive information available on plumbing and mechanical provisions that work toward water and energy efficiency.
- All provisions contained in the Green Supplement will be proven safe and reliable.
- Will provide related installation and maintenance requirements.
- Where possible, the Green Supplement will provide commentary detailing the water and energy savings associated with the provisions called out in the Supplement.
- Serve as an invaluable resource for progressive jurisdictions implementing green building and water efficiency programs, and for code officials, plumbers, contractors, engineers and manufacturers in designing, installing and approving green plumbing and mechanical systems.
Green Trade Shows
WaterSmart Innovations Conference and Expo October 8 - 10, 2014 Las Vegas, NV
GreenBuild October 22 - 24, 2014 New Orleans, LAGreen Supplement BrochureWater Usage Calculator (save to your computer to use)
Green Seminars Available
Green Contractor Award
Sign up to receive the IAPMO Green e-Newsletter
IAPMO Green e-Newsletter Archive
Read Official articles on sustainability
Link to other Green Websites