Turning intention into actionable, realistic regulations and laws takes a team of experts. One of the goals for new regulations is to avoid placing an undue burden on those who have to work within the new parameters and mitigate that they do not have any unintended consequences that jeopardize health or safety.
IAPMO can be your one source for all things concerning water in the built environment.
For more than 85 years, IAPMO has been the premier international organization for plumbing, mechanical, and solar in the built environment.
The provisions of the Uniform Plumbing Code® protect more than one half of the Earth’s population.
The Uniform Codes are designated as American National Standards and are the product of years of practical experience and applied science taken from multiple points of view. The technical committees, subcommittees and working groups are filled with more than 250 expert volunteers dedicated to producing the most comprehensive, discipline-specific, turnkey documents. This collaboration yields a document that is enforceable rather than interpretative, while remaining flexible to embrace new technology as it enters the built environment. These prescriptive codes aid in protecting the public by setting standards that are understandable by all segments of the industry.
Breadth of Services
When regulations are codified/promulgated it is incumbent on the testing and certification labs to provide compliance testing and documentation for all products going into the U.S. market to meet the regulations.
The IAPMO Group maintains our own ISO/IEC 17025 accredited testing labs in the United States and China, with precision focus on plumbing, building and electrical products. This internationally recognized expertise grows every year, allowing manufacturers unprecedented resources to verify compliance to product standards and regulatory requirements providing products with quicker entry into the marketplace.
We operate the first new National Recognized Testing Laboratory (NTRL) certified by the US Department of Labor in more than eight years.
IAPMO R&T is an internationally recognized plumbing, mechanical, gas, electrical and solar product certification agency with offices in the United States, China, India, Australia, Indonesia and Hong Kong. We are the only agency to provide plumbing certification for all of North America: American National Standards Institute (ANSI), Standards Council of Canada (SCC), entidad mexicana de acreditación, a.c. (ema), Comisión Nacional del Agua (CONAGUA), Normas Oficiales Mexicanas (NOM), U.S. EPA WaterSense, Energy Star and Low Lead requirements.
We provide expert written comments and testimony to Congress and federal/state agencies related to what we know best: water inside a building.
We do not have to re-create a whole new system to implement the desired regulations; we can be the tool to help enforce your regulations. As your team may not have in-house the specific expertise regarding everything you are working on, we have the credibility for all things water within the built environment.
When you come up with the new regulations, we have the international testing and certifications resources to put your regulations into practice.
Progressive plumbing regulations are recognized as an important tool for federal agencies, states and local jurisdictions to standardize water use practices. IAPMO brings together the best subject matter experts at the technical committee level.
The Uniform Codes are transforming the industry. To support the dynamic nature of the codes, IAPMO invests heavily in researching the impact and science behind proposed code changes. Water conservation research topics include:
- Water pipe sizing
- Drain line carry
- Reduced flow fixtures
We build understanding of water and energy savings, embedding that knowledge in the most progressive and innovation-friendly model regulations available. By maintaining the frequency of revisions, we assist those tasked with water policy to keep pace with advances in technology. The continuous refinement of our codes ensures the policies you enact are based upon the latest technology, sound science and safety.
Your trusted resource
- Codes designated as American National Standards in compliance with Executive Order OMB-A119
- We investigate and find the answers to proposed regulatory changes
- Promote training and the value of professional certifications for federal personnel
- Counter health and safety threats due to unintended consequences
- Knowledgeable use of water is a sustainable public health tool
Water shortages – we fill the void with expertise
- Proven plumbing practices
- Rainwater and greywater use codified due to our efforts
- Green Plumbing Designers course in partnership with ASPE to give the best information to engineers tasked with sustainability
- Key member of U.S. Water Partnership giving a practical perspective to this group of the largest companies related to water usage
- Dedicated government relations water specialists assist Congress and regulatory agencies
- Experts in achieving safe water efficiency in institutional, commercial and residential buildings
- Being a policy-making official brings with it great responsibility. You are tasked with the health and safety of your constituents. Providing them with the strongest set of codes fulfills your mandate. You need regulation support that demonstrates the best the industry has to offer.